Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cultural Relativism




I had to buy a new workbook for Meredith in order to continue her schooling her, the old one having a number of defects. Fortunately, I found a local bookstore with some great curricular choices, including one published by Oxford Press. She is making excellent progress and loving it. However, the fact that the book is British brings a few challenges. We are definitely learning the meaning of cultural relativism! Imaging that you have the vocabulary of an American 5-year-old who can't yet read, try and find the correct word fill in the blanks underneath the above four pictures. Don't peek at the answers until you've tried! (Hint: no word is longer than four letters.) In case you're no more culturally connected than our five-year old, the correct answers appear in pink at the end of the blog on the prime minister's visit to the U.S.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got the pram and tap, but thought the last one was 'fork'. My only guess on the other one was 'pond'. (but I guess to them that's the Atlantic Ocean)
Aunt Linda

Unknown said...

Only because Adrian is English, and we've somehow learned to communicate, did I know the answers. Don't they say that England and America are two countries divided by a common language? Poor Meredith - the year I went to junior high in England, one teacher consistently "corrected" my spelling of words like color, vapor, odor, flavor, and favorite just to make a point, even though she knew full well I was American and would only be there a year and wasn't doing it just to spite her. <3 Katie

Anonymous said...

well, i got 'chip' ( the ubiquitous fish and chips we always hear about gave that one away) and 'pram'.. but bog baffled me, and the other one i said was reed...clearly wrong too! betcha meredith never forgets either one, though! :)