Thursday, March 12, 2009

Retail Royalty at the Football Game

Since the Fulham-Blackburn match we attended, we have learned quite a bit more about the history of the the Fulham team. Apparently, the team has been on the fringe of the elite for quite some time. Many attribute this to the unwillingness of past owners to spend money on players. Egyptian millionaire Mohammed al Fayed (famous for being the father of Princess Diana's boyfriend at the time of her death) bought the team in 1997 and it has improved since then. As a big fan of Harrod's (which al Fayed owns), I was thrilled at halftime when I heard the mumbling stadium announcer state that al Fayed was on the field to accept some award. Although I have no idea what the award was, and I was too far away to see him clearly (my telephoto lens only works when my hand isn't shaking, and it was chilly enough that I couldn't hold the camera steady), it was still exciting to look down and known I was in the vicinity of one of the world's greatest retail demi-gods. It was kind of like a celebrity siting for a retail junkie.

No comments: