Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Meredith and Mom Go Wild for Lion King

Today was a treat for Meredith and Mom. It was Meredith's first-ever play, and Mom got to see her wonderment and awe at the thrill of it all. We went to see the Lion King at London's Lyceum Theatre. The show is in its tenth year (Olivia saw it in Portland three years ago), and it's very easy to see why it has lasted so long. It is visually stunning, the voices are tremendous and the dancing is awe-inspiring. From the moment the giant elephant and rhinoceros came charging down the aisle next to us with brightly coloured birds circling overhead and the music thundering around us, we knew it was going to be a wonderful show. Meredith could barely contain her joy, as she kept reaching over to squeeze my hand and smile. Twice she forgot to be quiet and exclaimed to me, "Mama, I LOVE this!" I was afraid that parts of the show would scare her and was prepared to watch with her in my lap. But that never happened. She simply loved the show. When it was over, she said she wished she could see the whole thing over again RIGHT NOW. Quite high praise from a little girl with a typical pre-schooler's attention span!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see how soon Meredith asks to see more live theatre. Movies are great but live gives a different feel. If you all come in the summer some year we will have to go to the Muny because out door live theatre is another experience. cmc

Anonymous said...

How fun, Meredith! I'm glad I have another granddaughter who enjoys live theatre. Wish I had been with you for your first live theatre.

Grandma Dorothy

Anonymous said...

what an amazing experience.. lions and hyenas and birds, oh my! and live to boot! such fun, meredith!! :) miss you all! :)