Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Olivia's Journal: An Art Critic At The Tate



Today, I went to the Tate Britain. I have five paintings that I liked. Room three--"A Lady of the Spencer Family." by Anthony Van Dyke. Anthany Van Dyke was known for his cloth. He could do amasing cloth. My favorite peice of it was the dress. It had such a brilyant blue, and I love the light coming down on the silk. I also like the pearles. There a brilyant touch. The brilyant blue just litans up the dress. That's the first thing we saw that was my favorite. Next we went to room foar. I found two paintings that I liked. "Old Horse Guards" by Canaletto. Canaletto was most famous view-painter of his day. Wealthy English tourissts who visited Italy colected them. He deceided to visit London in 1746. He remained for the best part of ten years. It was painted in summer 1749 just before the building of the old horse guards (the low brick building in the center) wasvdemolished and replaced by new horse guards which still stands today. My favorite thing about it is you can see people on the left beeting a rug. Room four, "The Strode Family" by William Hogarth. What I like about it is that it has a really dark bacground but when you look at the clothes the picture brightans up. On the dress you can see how good the painter can paint the clothes but I think that Anthany Van Dyke does it better. I like the kind of dog the dogs are. I also like the red and blue. Next we went to room seven. We saw a painting of horses and foals. by George Stubbs. This is one out of at least ten that George Stubbs painted of mares and foals in 1760s. My favorite part was the ponys because I'm horse crazy. The history is a great history. The guide tald us an interesting story. Mr. Stubbs had an interesting story. If his neighbor's horse deid he would come over, get the dead horse and put it over he shoulder and bring it home carrying it on his shoulder.. (He would), cut it up to see how it's bones worked and paint the picture. Last we went to room 15 were we saw a picture called the "Britash Channle seen from the Dorsetshire Cliffs" by John Brett. This view is proble from the cliffs above Lulworth Cove in Dorsetshire. My favorite thing about it is the way the clouds look real and how he can make it look liek the sun was coming down on the water. If you look closely at the water you can see the water is made out of dots. I like the way it looks reel. My favorite piece was the John Brett one. [Editor's note: Olivia's post is original work, although she had the benefit of notes on each piece taken from the Tate website. The editor has added punctuation as necessary. The spelling is Olivia's.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Livvy!! I am impressed! You are really paying attention and learning a lot over there.
On the Van Dyke painting, I have an old bridesmaid dress that looks like the same color blue. Maybe your mom or grandmother could make you a dress out of it if you like the material.
You're very clever to realize how the light clothes really brighten the whole scene on the Strode Family.
I wish I could enlarge the last one to see the individual dots that make up the water. The light really looks real, doesn't it.
Love
Aunt Linda

Anonymous said...

Livvy you will have to tell Grandpa Morrow which Painters you like best. When Grandma Morrow was alive she really like paintings and bought a lot of books with copies of famous paintings. Maybe he would send you one if he has one of the painters you really like. Love Nona

Unknown said...

What a good eye you have, Olivia! And such grownup things you noticed about each painting. That last one of the sun on the water through clouds is my favorite too. <3 Katie

Anonymous said...

Livvy, I was so impressed by your ability to see so much in the paintings. I was also impressed by the wonderful way you organized the content of your blog and your spelling. By the way did you know that I also do painting as a hobby in my spare time? I painted the family room, the hallway, and the bathroom. They look great, but I had can't figure out how to mount them in frames. Love, Gappa