Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chaucer's Tales Strangely Told

Our next stop post-services was McDonald's--the bribe used in part to bring about good behaviour in the service. Given Canterbury's tourist-based economy, it was really too bad we had to go to the culinary desert because there were a lot of cool pubs and cafes that looked like good candidates for dining adventure. However, a reward was promised, and we had to deliver. After lunch, we went to Canterbury's other "big" attraction: the Canterbury Tales Museum. I don't know how to describe this attraction. Laura called it "Disneyland Without the Rides." Visitors walk through several rooms filled with cheesey looking mannequins and props where animated characters narrate various of Chaucer's Canterbury tales. You emerge perplexed at the other end. On the one hand, you know more about Chaucer's famous stories than when you went in. On the other, you feel like you've just spent 20 pounds and 35 minutes to see pure schtick. It's an odd little place, and I think I'm glad we saw it, but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to see it on a future trip.

No comments: