Thursday, January 29, 2009

Taking Out The Trash

Every week at home I drag my 95 gallon roll cart full of recycling and my 65 gallon can of trash plus whatever extras I have to the curb for morning pickup. Not so here. I snapped the above shot this morning looking down our street. Notice all the garbage bags sitting on the curb awaiting pickup. This is how they do it. You simply pile your garbage bags somewhere until pick up day and then transfer them all to the sidewalk. The trash men come along and toss them into the truck. Here, we generate about two bags of trash and two bags of recycling weekly. I can't quite work out why it's so much less than at home where we regularly overfill the can. Because this is an island crowded with people, the public is pretty concious about trying to reduce waste. The Green Movement, as I mentioned before, is quite significant. It will be interesting to see how (and if) our values transfer back to home after three months here.

No comments: